| Karja Catherine Church
|| Saaremaa island, Linnaka village, Leisi commune in West Estonia
| Short Description
|| Karja church is one of the richest of sculptures in the whole Northern Europe. The arcs of the church exceed the height of the walls two times.
| Visitors 2010
| If you like to see a comperative factcheck, please see Benchmark Report Churches or Benchmark Report Heritage Sites
Karja church was built in the beginning of 14th century. The church has retained almost unchanged its initial shape. The church is one-naved and doesn't have bell tower. On top of the altar are extant paganish magic ceiling signs that were painted during construction. In the design of the churchyYou will mostly see elements of early and high Gothic that are combined with some roman lines. Interesting to know: Karja church is one of the richest of sculptures in the whole Northern Europe. The arcs of the church exceed the height of the walls two times. Karja church is the smallest church on Saaremaa.
About the Heritage Site
- Country: Estonia
- Location: Saaremaa island, Linnaka village, Leisi commune in West Estonia
- Type of location: Smallest and most beautiful medieval church in Saaremaa
- Experience offered:
Karja Katariina (Catherine) Church is the smallest medieval church in Saaremaa. The Church, built in the 14th century, has maintained its original look practically without any changes. Decorative ceiling paintings have been preserved partly in the Church; there are magic ceiling marks on the vaults of the choir room, over the vestry there is a unique room with a fireplace, the other fireplace is situated in the attic of the choir. Supposedly the accommodation possibilities were created for the pilgrims, who travelled through the Scandinavia and the Island of Gotland to Maarjamaa.
- Karja Catherine Church, Linnaka küla, Leisi vald, Saaremaa, Estonia
- phone:(+372) 457 3652
Accessibility of Heritage Site
- Karja Catherine Church: Monday to Friday 10.00-18.00; Saturday: 12.30-18.00 ;Sunday 11.00-18.00
- Entrance fee:Free of charge
- By car: From Kuressaare take the 79th roat to Leisi, ride 36 km and turn right to Viira village ride 2,9 km, pass Viira and next is Linnaka village.
- By boat:From mainland to Saaremaa island, see 
- By plane:30 minute flight from Tallinn to Kuressaare Airport
For further information see here.
Size/capacities of Heritage Site
- Church, Souvenirs, Information boards
Number of visitors in Heritage Site
Visitor's structure, behaviour, satisfaction
- Are the visitors on holiday or visiting from their home?
- If on holiday:
- What kind of holiday?
- Holiday accommodation?
- Holiday means of transportation?
- Holiday alone/accompanied by ...?
- First time visitors to Holiday Site?
- How did the visitors become aware of Heritage Site?
- How did the visitors get to the Heritage Site?
- How much time did the visitors spend in Heritage Site?
- Satisfaction with different aspects of Heritage Site
- Marketing efforts