Heritage Sites:Angla windmill mount
|Angla windmill mount|
|Place||Angla village in Leisi commune, Saaremaa island|
|Short Description|| The only windmill mount of Island
Saaremaa having kept its original looks.
|If you like to see a comperative factcheck, please see Benchmark Report Further Cultural Sites or Benchmark Report Heritage Sites|
In 1925, as many as 9 windmills were standing on the top of Windmill Mountain. Five of them, having survived until today, also give a powerful impression. Four out of the five Angla windmills are typical trestle windmills, characteristic of Island Saaremaa, built in the beginning of this century. A Dutch windmill, slightly higher and built in 1927, is standing in the middle of the others. The body of the windmill is not made of stone, as it's characteristic of the 'typical' Dutchmen, but is a wooden structure with eight facets.
- Good to know:
The group of windmills was last renovated in 1984-1985. At the moment you have access to one of the windmills, having a chance to watch the miller at work. This is the only windmill mount of Island Saaremaa having kept its original looks.
About the Heritage Site
- Country: West Estonia, Saaremaa island
- Location: From Kuressaare 40 km among 70th road in Angla village in Leisi commune
- Type of location: Angla windmill park with 5 windmills and Heritage Culture Centre
- Experience offered: At Angla Heritage Centre you can try pottery, felt, wool, leather and stone, jewellery and blacksmiths workshops. Degustation of the Angla rye-bread wiht light salted butter and herbal tea. A little souvenir-bag with rye flour grinded in Vilidu windmill. The miller-guided tour. Participate in events introducing Estonian national culture.
- Website: www.anglatuulik.eu
- Postal Adress:
- Angla Pärandkultuurikeskus(Heritage centre) Angla village, Leisi commune, Saaremaa, Estonia
- phone: +372 5199 0265
- e-mail: angla@kylastuskeskus
Accessibility of Heritage Site
- Opening times:
- 24 hours
- Entrance fee:
- Student 7-17 years € 1.00
- Adult: € 2.00
- Family ticket € 4.00
- Preschool children: for free
- Groups package reservation € 6.00 includes entrance € 2.00, tasting rye bread with salted butter, herbal tea, flour bag with milled flour from Vilidu windmill € 3.40. Miller, guide service, additional cost for one person in the group € 0.60
- How to get there
- By car: Take the 79 th road from Kuressaare to Angla village 40 km.
- By boat: See Tuule laevad
- By plane: 30 minute flight from Tallinn to Kuressaare
Size/capacities of Heritage Site
- 5 windmills on Angla windmill hill four of them wind-operated grinding mills with turnable tower. The Heritage Culture Centre of Angla Windmill Park
- Diverse offer of guided tours for all kinds of target groups
- Various special events throughout the year
- Events in 2011:
- 30 July: the 3rd Angla Heritage Culture day
- 1st week of october: Bread week
- in December from Advent Sunday: Christmas village
Number of visitors in Heritage Site
Visitor's structure, behaviour, satisfaction
- Are the visitors on holiday or visiting from their home?
- If on holiday:
- What kind of holiday?
- Holiday accommodation?
- Holiday means of transportation?
- Holiday alone/accompanied by ...?
- First time visitors to Holiday Site?
- How did the visitors become aware of Heritage Site?
- How did the visitors get to the Heritage Site?
- How much time did the visitors spend in Heritage Site?
- Satisfaction with different aspects of Heritage Site
- Marketing efforts
- Development plans
|Coordinates||58° 31' 49" N, 22° 41' 52" E +|
|Heritage Site Category||Further Cultural Site +|
|Place||Angla village in Leisi commune, Saaremaa island +|
|Reference Year||2010 +|
|Short Description||The only windmill mount of Island Saaremaa having kept its original looks.|
|Visitors 2005||warning.png"" is not a number.|
|Visitors 2006||warning.png"" is not a number.|
|Visitors 2007||warning.png"" is not a number.|
|Visitors 2008||warning.png"" is not a number.|
|Visitors 2009||warning.png"" is not a number.|
|Visitors 2010||warning.png"" is not a number.|